- Read the race card, look down the list of horses, and choose what you think is the best bet in the field.
- Write down your stake Write the amount of money you wish to bet.
- Write the name of your horse under the stake.
- Write down when and where your horse is running.
- At the bottom of the betting slip, enter the total amount of your bets on the slip. Take your completed slip to the cashier.
Remember that bookmakers want your money, so if you need help filling in a slip then always ask at the counter. Generally the counter staff at high street bookmakers are very keen to help. You can also view a correctly filled in betting slip for a simple ‘Win' bet by click on the small thumbnail in this paragraph. If you want to make an ‘each way' bet then check out our guide to eachway betting ~ click here.